Bunny in Progress

Painting of a bunny WIP

Bunny (WIP). 14x11, oil on linen panel. 2015.

It's been a while since I finished any new work so I jumped the gun and posted this one before completing it. This is done from the customer's own photograph.

This first layer is painted directly over a (dried) raw umber block in and was done in one session. It still needs more work so I'll put it aside to dry for a while then apply some glazes to help adjust values and colors.

As usual I stuck to a simple palette: cobalt blue, burnt sienna, yellow ochre and red in this case.

After trying a couple of landscape paintings in the new studio, I found that the overhead lights I'm using are distorting the colors too much. For this one I turned off the lights and painted by window light. It's been a long time since I was able to do that.

Painting of a bunny WIP

Bunny (WIP). 14x11, oil on linen panel. 2015.

Here's the same painting with a few changes made. I photographed this under the studio lights. It's almost there, just a couple of tweaks to make once this layer is dry.

 

Painting of a bunny WIP

Bunny. 14x11, oil on linen panel. 2016.

The break over the holidays must have done some good because I finally came to my senses and realized that the background didn't look too good. I filled in to the edges to help anchor the subject.

The values were adjusted by glazing and the body was fogged out slightly. I added in a faint suggestion of whiskers.

Only one thing remains to be done now and that is to crop the painting down to a smaller size. I realized that I started this on a panel that was too large.

 

Completed painting of a bunny

Bunny (after cropping). 12x9, oil on linen panel. 2016.

Footnote


I've recently done away with the comments section. If you have questions or comments, please contact me directly. Links from other blogs are always welcome.