Finding a Creative Solution for a Difficult Painting Problem

An oil painting of the Magnolia Bluffs done with a pink/green palette

Low Tide. 10 x 17.5, oil on linen panel. 2017.

One of the biggest problems I've found with paintings of the shore is that it can be difficult to make them look interesting. There is a tendency (except in specific light conditions) for everything to look flat. This headland in Magnolia is one of those scenes, an especially challenging one as it's a south-looking view and always against the light. To compound the problem, the headland is a monotone - dull green in summer and dull brown in winter.

I tried to find a solution by building this painting on an abstract idea involving color: a red/green color scheme to break up the color monotony and value variation in the background and foreground to introduce the illusion of light.

Using a coarse linen allowed the paint to be applied thickly with a palette knife throughout. This helped me to establish lots of texture in the foreground and middle ground with little effort. The headland was left lacking in specificity to add a feeling of mystery.

Stay in Touch

Get information about events and special offers delivered to your inbox.

Your Email

Enter your email address to receive occasional emails from Portraits by Simon Bland. You must be at least 18 years old to sign up for the newsletter. Your data will be managed in keeping with our Privacy Policy.