The hooves are now painted in, although only three are showing so far. I spent a full morning on them.
I worked on the body to build up the paint layer a little and it's starting to look more finished. I also wiped some extra tone into the background to give me a better sense of where to take it. My original vision for the portrait was to have the background largely unpainted, but I've decided it needs something more substantial so I will probably use some thin mid-tone grey to help define the horse.
I've recently done away with the comments section. If you have questions or comments, please contact me directly. Links from other blogs are always welcome.