Spartacus. 14x14, oil on linen panel. 2015.
It has been a busy last couple of days: painted this portrait, started another, finished another, made changes to two others, painted a color study, stretched and primed two canvases, then toned 6 panels.
I painted this sketch portrait from the customer's own photos: the larger square format made a nice fit for Spartacus's big boxy head. Leaving the bottom of the canvas unfinished helped to balance out the mass of his noggin in the upper half of the painting.
I used a palette of ultramarine, alizarin permanent, cad orange and cad yellow medium, plus a small amount of bright red in the collar and a small amount of burnt sienna mixed with ultramarine for the darkest bits.
After consultation with the customer I made a few small changes to the eye area.
I've recently done away with the comments section. If you have questions or comments, please contact me directly. Links from other blogs are always welcome.